Asked by: Eric Caribe
Another choice is to use a synonym such as “He chuckled”—or “snickered” or “hooted” or “roared.” These work well, indicating specific kinds of laughter, as long as you don’t overdo it. Add too many laughing verbs and your story will start to sound like a zoo at feeding time.
How do you describe a laughter?
…and amusement, glee, hilarity, mirth, merriment, rejoicing, snort, snorting, chortling, har-de-har, tehee, tittering…
What are words to describe a laugh?
How do you express laughter in writing?
The most common way to write laughter in English is “haha”. If we want to express more of a giggle, then we can write “hehe” as well. These are examples of onomatopoeia and are different than the acronyms LOL (laughing/laugh out loud) or ROFL (rolling on the floor laughing).
How do you express laughter?
The 37 Ways To Type Laughter In 2018, Defined
- ha = I didn’t even think about laughing. …
- ha. …
- haaaaa = I thought about laughing. …
- HAHAHAH = I laughed out loud for once in my life.
- Hahah = I think it’s funny, but not funny enough for me to laugh out loud, so I left one “a” off as to not seem too dramatic.
How would you describe a smile in writing?
Her smile was as cold and lovely as frost on a windowpane. His smile was like a sudden beam of sunlight illuminating the darkest corners of the room. Her smile flickered across her face like a hologram. His smile was a sealed envelope.
How do you say I laugh a lot?
To laugh a lot or start laughing – thesaurus
- burst out. phrasal verb. to suddenly start laughing or crying.
- crack up. phrasal verb. to suddenly laugh a lot at something.
- dissolve into. phrasal verb. …
- get/have the giggles. phrase. …
- in hysterics. phrase. …
- in stitches. phrase. …
- in fits. phrase. …
- giggly. adjective.
What is a hearty laughter?
When you laugh with true delight at something, this is an example of a hearty laugh. When you congratulate someone and mean it, this is an example of hearty congratulations.
What can I say instead of LOL?
We can chuckle and chortle. We can snicker and snort. We can cackle, cachinnate, and crack up. We can even guffaw.
What is a guffaw laugh?
Definition of guffaw
: a loud or boisterous burst of laughter Her remark sparked guffaws around the room.
What means contort?
Definition of contort
transitive verb. : to twist in a violent manner features contorted with fury. intransitive verb. : to twist into or as if into a strained shape or expression His face contorted in a grimace of pain.
What is Cachinnation?
Definition of cachinnate
intransitive verb. : to laugh loudly or immoderately cachinnated till his sides must have ached— John Burroughs.
Whats the meaning of incarcerate?
to put in prison
Definition of incarcerate
transitive verb. 1 : to put in prison. 2 : to subject to confinement.
How do you use incarcerate in a sentence?
Incarcerate in a Sentence 🔉
- The police are going to incarcerate the teen who keeps committing acts of violence.
- If Jim doesn’t stop drinking and driving, the judge will have to incarcerate him.
- The detective promised the Smiths she would incarcerate their daughter’s killer.
What is the synonym of the word incarcerate?
put away. put on ice. put under lock and key. send up the river. take away.
What is the meaning of the word Immure?
to enclose within
Definition of immure
transitive verb. 1a : to enclose within or as if within walls. b : imprison. 2 : to build into a wall especially : to entomb in a wall.
What is this word contemptuously?
Definition of contemptuous
: manifesting, feeling, or expressing deep hatred or disapproval : feeling or showing contempt.
What does resignedly mean?
adverb. in a way that expresses giving in to the insistence of another or to circumstances beyond one’s control:I nodded my head gloomily and resignedly; something like this was bound to happen eventually.
What does frightfully sorry mean?
1. frightfully – used as intensifiers; “terribly interesting“; “I’m awful sorry” awful, awfully, terribly. colloquialism – a colloquial expression; characteristic of spoken or written communication that seeks to imitate informal speech. Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection.
What is an example of contemptuously?
The definition of contemptuously is done hatefully. An example of contemptuously is a child yelling their upset while cleaning their room and throwing their toys in the closet.
How can I use bewildering in a sentence?
Bewildering sentence example
- It was a bewildering and fascinating place. …
- It’s a bit bewildering , isn’t it? …
- There is a bewildering variety in the views of the future life and world held by different peoples.
How do you use faltered in a sentence?
Faltered sentence example
- His anger faltered , and sorrow filled his face. …
- His smile faltered and he stepped back. …
- Jade faltered and wiped his mouth. …
- His voice faltered and he looked away. …
- How could a pope make war on Austria, the one power that had never faltered in its allegiance to the Church ?